BY-LAWS OF THE MARYLAND ASSOCIATION FOR MULTICULTURAL COUNSELING AND DEVELOPMENT
NAME, AFFILIATION, AND PURPOSE
SECTION 1 : NAME
- The official name of the organization shall be the Maryland Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (hereafter referred to as MAMCD), which is a State Division of the nation Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development (AMCD), and a State Chapter of the Maryland Counseling Association.
SECTION 2 : PURPOSES
- The purposes of the Association shall be as follows:
- To promote a greater understanding of race, culture and ethnicity among members of the counseling professions.
- To improve the standards of counseling and guidance professions.
- To identify and work to eliminate conditions which create barriers to the individual and group development of cultural diversity.
- To develop, implement and/or foster interest in charitable, scientific and educational programs designed to further the interests of multicultural counseling and cultural diversity.
- To secure equality of treatment, advancement, qualifications and status of cultural diversity in multicultural counseling and guidance work.
- To publish a newsletter, and professional materials with the purpose of raising the awareness of all who work in the profession of multicultural counseling.
MAMCD EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
SECTION 1 : COMPOSITION, NOMINATION AND ELECTIONS OF THE MAMCD EXECUTIVE COUNCIL
- The MAMCD Executive Council shall be composed of MAMCD Officers: President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, Treasurer, Recording Secretary, and Parliamentarian.
SECTION 2: POWER AND FUNCTIONS
- The Council shall be the agency through which the general administrative and executive functions of the Association are affected. The President of the Association shall be the Chairperson of the Executive Council.
- The Council shall conduct, manage, and control the business of the Association between its official meetings.
- The Council shall have the power to establish regulations and application forms for determining whether applications for membership meet the requirements for member as specified by the By-Laws.
NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
SECTION 1: PROCEDURES
The following procedures shall be followed by the Nominations and Elections Committee:
- Nomination and Election of Officers
- Nomination and Election Committee. There shall be established a Nomination and Election Committee consisting of the Immediate Past President of the Association as the Chairperson, one other Past President appointed by the President, and one member at-large, but subject to confirmation by the Executive Council. No member of the Nomination and Election Committee may serve for more than two consecutive years.
- The Nomination and Election Committee shall submit to the Executive Council for its approval the proposal procedures for carrying out the annual election.
SECTION 1: ELECTED OFFICERS AND PRESIDENTS
- The Elected Officers of the Association shall be the President, President-Elect, Immediate Past-President, Treasurer, and Recording Secretary.
- All elected officers shall have voting privilege.
- The President-elect, elected annually, shall hold office for one year, and succeed to the Presidency for a one-year term, and then to the Immediate Past President for one year term.
- The Treasurer and Recording Secretary shall serve one year term.
- The Parliamentarian is appointed by the President for a one year term, and do not have a vote.
- In the event of resignation, continued absence, illness, removal from office, or death of any officer other than the President, The Executive Council, by majority vote, elect a successor to serve until the next annual election. In the event that the President-Elect is unable to assume the duties of the President, the Executive Council may, by majority vote, choose a member of the Executive Council to serve as Interim President until the next election.
- The term of the office of each elected official of MAMCD shall coincide with the AMCD terms of office and continue until the successor takes office.
SECTION 2: FUNCTION OF OFFICERS/PRESIDENTS
The President shall:
- Exert leadership in the achievement of the propose of MAMCD.
- Preside at meetings of the Executive Council.
- Appoint chairperson of all MAMCD Committees.
- Serve as ex officio on all MAMCD Committees.
- Carry-out such other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Executive Council or prescribed in the By-Laws.
- President-Elect. The President-Elect shall:
- Perform the duties of the President in the absence of incapacity of the President.
- Serve as member of the Executive Council.
- Carry out such other duties and the responsibilities as may be assigned by the Executive Council or prescribed in the By-Laws.
- Recording Secretary. The Recording Secretary shall:
- Keep a record of the proceedings of the Executive Council.
- Perform the duties as may be delegated by the Executive Council, and the MAMCD Officers.
- Be bonded by MAMCD for such amount as determined by the Executive Council.
- Serve as member of the Executive Council.
- Be empowered to affix the seal and executive official. documents of the Association as Secretary of the Corporation.
The Treasurer shall:
- Serve as a member of the Executive Council, Executive Committee, and Finance Committee.
- Represent the Association in assuring the receipt and expenditures of funds in accordance with the directives established by the Executive Council.
- To be under such fidelity bond as determined by the Executive Council.
- Assist with the preparation of the budgets for MAMCD, and its Committees.
- Perform the duties customary to the office and such additional duties as directed by the Executive Council.
- Recommend to the Executive Council any needed modifications in procedures for managing the fiscal affairs of MAMCD.
- Shall submit a written financial report to the Executive Council at the regular meetings, and a summary statement to the editor of the Newsletter for publication.
The Parliamentarian shall:
- Ensure that the meetings of the Executive Council and Committees follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
SECTION 2: STANDING COMMITTEES
The Standing Committees of MAMCD shall be:
- Membership Committee
- Finance Committee
- Nomination and Election Committee
- Newsletter Committee
- Program Coordinating Committee
- By-Laws Committee
- Web-Site Committee
- Executive Committee
SECTION 1 : DUES AND ASSESSMENTS
The following procedures shall be followed in establishing MAMCD dues and assessments, in addition to those dues required by the By-Laws of MCA and AMCD.
- Annual dues shall be established by the Executive Council.
- The Executive Council may levy special assessments on the entire membership.
- The Fiscal Year. The fiscal year of MAMCD shall coincide with the fiscal year of AMCD.